Goan Drumstick curry or Shango curry is very popular and tasty to have it with rice. It is even better if you add some prawns in it. The way my grandmother prepare “Shango kodi” is what i like. So here i post the recipe which she uses in preparing Shango or Drumstick Curry.
4-5 drumsticks, chopped
For Curry Gravy:
4 tbsp grated coconut ( Kisleli Kaatli)
1 tsp coriander seeds (Konfiryo )
4 red chilies (Tambdyo Sukhyo Mirsangyo)
1 marble sized ball of tamarind (Aamtaan)
5-6 black peppercorns (Mirya)
1 tsp turmeric powder (Halad Powder)
1 tsp oil
Coriander (Woli Kotambir)
- Place the drumsticks in a wide vessel and use just enough of water to cover all the drumsticks then mix salt. Cover and par boil.
- Meanwhile grind the coconut, the masala powder, tamarind, turmeric, chilli powder, garlic (if used) to a very fine paste using little water. Many times my grandma grind the masala only after she have boiled the drumsticks and then she use the water from the drumsticks only as she said.
- Pour over the masala over the drumstick and bring to a boil. Adjust the seasonings.
- In a small pan heat the oil, splutter mustard, and then hing/Asafoetida.
- Now pour this over the drumstick curry and put some coriander leaves on it. Cook till the drumsticks are done.
- Serve with steaming hot rice.
Enjoy.. Hope you like it. Your Comments, suggestions, requests are always welcome. You can sen us your photos.