Built in 1540 AD opposite Fort Aguada on the south headland of the river Mandovi, the Cabo (the Portuguese word for cape) Palace fortress housed the Franciscan monastery, which later (1594 AD) became the official residence of the Governor of Goa. Holding the most panoramic view one can witness in Goa with the Indian Ocean towards the west, the Bay of the river Mandovi and Fort Aguada on the north and the busy port of Mormugao. Remaining uninhabited and isolated for centuries, it is believed some human habitation must have been present over here but because of its enclosure in a dense wilderness, no signs of earlier settlements found.
The beauty, solitude and uniqueness and well-planned features are some of the main attractions of the Cabo. A small Chapel was constructed at the very end of the mansion dedicated to Our virgin lady of The cape (Nossa Senhora do Cabo). It also served as a landmark for the seafarers.
During the Portuguese era, the fort housed the Governors General of Goa and was known as “Palacio Do Cabo”. After the liberation of Goa Palacio Do cabo became “Cabo Raj Niwas”, the official residence of Governor of Goa.The Cabo Palace is now known as the Raj Bahavan, the official name given to the residence of the Governors of the States In India. It is also counted among the finest residences of Indian Governors and is indeed the oldest as no other residence of a Governor of a State in India had its origin to over four hundred years in the past.
Attraction in the Fort:
Durbar Hall :This was official reception area used for the swearing ceremonies and other official occasions.
Dining room: Has a massive capacity to accommodate over 30 persons
Rooms: House three suites and seven double rooms.
Collectibles : Bohemian chandeliers, Chinese porcelain, silver and a wide range of high quality wooden furniture with delicate workmanship are seen. The most unique are the pieces of antique Chinese porcelain manufactured in Canton. There is also a worn-out set of crockery having a similar design with same coat of arms. All these had been specially ordered for the use of the Portuguese Governor General. There is also a remarkable collection of high quality wooden furniture with exquisite workmanship. A set of elaborately carved chairs are simply excellent for the fact that Hindu Gods and Temples have been carved on them.
Chapel : A small Chapel was constructed at the very end of the mansion, dedicated to our virgin lady of the cape (Nossa Senhora do Cabo). It also served as a turning point for the seamen.
How to Reach:
The fort is at a distance of 9 Kms from Panaji, the capital city of Goa. Fort Cabo is just opposite to Fort Aguada. Tourists will find innumerable modes of transportation from these places to the location of Fort Cabo in Goa. You can either take Taxi, Auto Rickshaw or Bus.
7.4 km from Panaji – 19mins
31.1 km from Dabolim Airport – 49mins
40.1 km from Margao Railway Station – 1hr 4mins
30.8 km from Thivim Railway Station – 47mins